So during my lunch break on Thursday one of my work colleague’s Rachel, who I also went to college with, ask me if I knew all the 10 Commandments. I shamelessly could only remember 5 of the 10. But it was my friend who thought I should write a blog about it so hey presto! Here it is!
So for people who don’t know what the 10 Commandments are, it is instructions that the Lord gave Moses on Mount Sinia to give to the Israelites and as a Christian we still follow this instructions. These are the 10 Commandments the Lord gave to them;
- You must have no other gods before me.
- Do not make an idol for yourself – no form whatsoever – of anything in the sky above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth.
- Do not use the Lord your God’s name as if it were of no significance; the Lord won’t forgive anyone who uses his name that way.
- Remember the Sabbath day and treat it as holy.
- Honour your father and your mother so that your life will be long on the fertile land that the Lord your God is giving you.
- Do not kill.
- Do not commit adultery.
- Do not steal.
- Do not testify falsely against your neighbour.
- Do not desire your neighbour’s house. Do not desire and try to take your neighbour’s wife, male or female servant, ox, donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbour.
As a non-believer, my guess is, they look at this list and think ‘Blimey that God guy is well strict!’ But in theory no He isn’t strict. He just loves us so much that he wants us to be clean from sin and live a clean and pure life with the Lord.
There isn’t much else to say on this topic because it explains itself. God put these instructions in places so we don’t commit ungodly actions/sins. Simple.
As a Christian, I follow these instructions because I believe that they will bring my closer to the Lord and help me remain faithful.